Whether you are fascinated by another country’s culture or considering taking a foreign language for work or school, learning a new language offers lifelong benefits. This is especially true when choosing to learn English. The English language has been described as “the language of opportunity”.
Top 10 Compelling Reasons for learning English this year:
- English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world: Although English comes second to Mandarin in the total number of speakers, English is the language you’ll be able to use most widely. English is spoken in more countries than any other language. That means that English is the language that will give you the best return for your efforts.
- English will open up a world of opportunities for you: Being able to speak English allows you to communicate effectively in numerous countries, and this opens up lots of possibilities for you in terms of the countries to choose from to seek work
- English will help make you become more valuable at work : English has been referred to as “the language of business”. If you have ambitions to become an international business person, it’s essential that you’re able to speak English fluently. Business conducted internationally is done in English more often than any other language. Even if you’re not thinking of living and working abroad, that doesn’t mean you won’t find English a helpful language to put on your CV. There may well be plenty of English-speaking multinational corporations with offices available in your home country. In fact companies are doing more business with international customers. This adds to the need for employees with diverse language skills.
- English allows you to get more from popular culture: The world’s highest-grossing movies which are filmed in Hollywood are made in English. How many times have you been to see an American blockbuster and been frustrated by having to keep up with fast-paced subtitles? Moreover the same can be said for mainstream music. Most popular songs lyrics are written in English.
- English is the language of some of the world’s greatest literature: If you learn English, you’ll be able to enjoy works by some of the world’s most famous writers. The works of Shakespeare will take on a new meaning when you’re able to speak English, and you can look forward to enjoying such influential classics as Emily Bronte’s Withering Heights, Jane Eyre by English writer Charlotte Brontë, George Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm, Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and many more.
- Gain insight into other cultures: You may read or hear about another country, but fluency opens the door to its people. Comprehension can expose you to foreign books, films, music and more.
- English gives you wider access to knowledge: Did you know that 55% of the world’s webpages are written in English?
- English is a fantastic intellectual challenge!: If you’re on the lookout for a new challenge, learning English may be just what you’re after. English opens you up to a huge number of new cultural experiences, which will help you develop life skills, meet new people and grow your confidence in handling new situations.
- Enhance your foreign excursions: Maps and guidebooks point you to tourist attractions, but locals can help you find the best places off the beaten path. When you can have a conversation in a native language, people are less hesitant to speak with you and more inclined to help you.
- Learning English has never been easier: View Unilang Course Packages to determine which package suits your needs. Learn English while also Exploring Malta